Friday, May 3, 2013

Artist Statement


       Coming into this class, I was very uncertain of what to expect.  To be totally honest, in order to graduate this semester I needed three more upper division studio art classes and this one fit into my schedule.  From my experience with the intro to digital media class I knew that this class was going to take massive amounts of time and mixed with my painting and drawing classes I was going to be swamped.
            The first project was the first test to my patients because I had no clue what I was doing with the software.  As I started watching tutorials it became easier but the angles and judging depth on a 3D screen was incredibly frustrating.  Eventually I was satisfied with the product I produced especially once they were printed and we got to paint them.  The next project we did was also very frustrating but I really loved the final product of the printed busts.  These first two projects were the most difficult for me this semester.  This was mostly due to the glitches in the newer software and my ignorance in how to use them.  While this is the case I do feel I took the most from these projects and realized that I want to learn more on the subject of 3D printing because it is such a mind-blowing technology.                          The last two projects were the most fun for me because I felt the products I produced were much stronger than the first two.  The Pepakura copyright project that we did was possibly my favorite in concept.  While we were technically just copying a product it was so interesting that we had to replicate as much as possible only using paper. The golden Desert Eagle pistol I made was one of my stronger pieces from the class.                                     
         All in all, I took more from this class than I did my other two studio art classes combined.  I learned so much about a new technology that is going to be so important in the future and was pushed to finding new ways of utilizing it in an artistic and creative manner.  I cannot wait to see what else I can do with this newfound knowledge and find ways of applying it to my usual focus of painting and drawing.

No comments:

Post a Comment